Saturday, May 2, 2009

stripping diapers

I wanted to briefly post about stripping your cloth diapers. I switched laundry detergent for the cloth diapers last week (from Nature Clean to Wonder Wash). If you want to get the most out of your cloth diapers, I think it is important to use detergent that is good for cloth diapers. (Less chemicals and build up on the diapers.) Both of the detergents I have used are safe for cloth, but I had tried a sample of Wonder Wash (check out www.littletreehugger.ca) and preferred it to Nature Clean. I have bought quite a few diapers used, and had not stripped them, so I decided to do all my diapers last weekend.

Basically, if your diapers begin to smell, or you want to make sure the excess soap build up is gone, you should strip your diapers. The residue on your diapers may lead to bacteria growth, which is not good to have on your baby's bum! Residue may build up because of using too much, or too little soap and you may wish to alter your washing routine after stripping. (In my case, I use less soap... only the recommended amount and have switched soaps.)

To strip diapers, take the clean diapers, and wash them on a HOT cycle with 1 or 2 drops of dish soap (a very SMALL amount). Then I rinsed them using hot water multiple times. I rinsed them until I couldn't see bubbles coming out in the water from the washer. I think I rinsed them 6 - 7 times. There were still a few bubbles but I had been rinsing them all day!

Click here for more laundering instructions and details about stripping diapers. (www.littletreehugger.ca)

No comments:

Post a Comment