Wednesday, July 8, 2009

hummus recipe

Here is the hummus recipe, courtesy of Sue, with my own variations! I would also make some changes next time, I will indicate those below.

First, I soaked 1 cup of dried garbanzo beans (chick peas) overnight.
After soaking, I rinsed the beans thoroughly and placed in a pot to cook adding enough water to cover the beans by about 2 inches. I added a strip of Kombu (which I didn't use the second time, but next time, would use a small piece).

Once the water came to a boil, I put the heat on the lowest setting to simmer. They took about 1 hour and a half to cook.

After the chick peas were finished, I drained the pot, transferred the beans to a bowl, and added:
1 garlic clove (pressed)
5 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
4 Tbsp tahini paste
1 lemon, juiced
pepper
1 tsp cumin

I mixed all of that with my super soup mixer, which worked way better than a blender.

I added some paprika to make it look pretty and this is how much it made!

I baked some whole wheat pita on the baking stone and cut some carrots for a delicious appetizer!


Next time I would add:
A little more lemon juice
Some extra spices for some more flavour (have to experiment with this)
Another garlic clove
Some salt
And maybe a little more olive oil to make it creamer

No comments:

Post a Comment