Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Confessions of 2011

Happy New Year!  While I do love the New Year, and the fresh start it brings, I feel the pull towards reflection this year.  So much happened in 2011 and I feel there are some confessions I must make.
                                                   


1.  This year, I entered a pretty dark period and dealt with some post-partum depression after Lila was born. I didn't write about it, and only shared with a few closest confidants.  It was extremely hard to admit to myself  and accept the help that I needed.  I ended up getting counselling and help through my church.  I guess I want to confess this because, I know there are women out there who are struggling and I want to share my life in an honest way.  If you are reading this, and feel lost, without hope, please see your family doctor, and get help in some way.  I will gladly send you an encouraging message or refer you to the local places that you can get help.  I refrained from getting help for a long time, just because I thought I should be happy and have it all together.  There is still stigma associated with PPD, and I need to confess that although I struggled with this, I feel like myself again.


(Just a note: I was not actually diagnosed with PPD by my doctor.  It was something I felt like I was going through, according to my own research and reading.  This is not to say that I don't think actual diagnosis is important, I do.  It was my own fear that held me back from the doctor, but I was able to get help in other ways.)  

2. I didn't write nearly as much as I wanted to in 2011!  I only had 31 posts in 2011 and I am going to make some changes to the blog this year!  I would like to switch formats, create a schedule for posting and turn this website into something a little more substantial (and hopefully, helpful!).  My most popular post in 2011 was the Reggio Emilia Approach  post and the second most popular was Tandem Nursing Part 1.  Writing is a passion of mine and I am determined to carve out time for it this year!  So stay tuned.


3. 2011 held some particularly beautiful times and wonderful memories, and also held difficult decisions, and some painful goodbyes.  One of my most prayed for miracles happened this year as one of my best friends adopted her baby girl from Iqaluit.


Lila January 2012
Both Charlotte and Lila have grown a tremendous amount in one year!  And I don't hesitate in adding, that so did I!  


Lila February 2011




Charlotte February 2011
Charlotte January 2012


Happy New Year... here's to fresh starts and many memories to make!

4 comments:

  1. You are such a great person Pamela, and have always been an encouragement to me, even though we have not really seen much of each other since graduating from high school. Your honesty is refreshing, and I think what you went through is something a lot of women struggle with and getting help is never a bad thing :) Take care! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a year of wonderful growth in many ways. :) *hugs to you!*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful post!

    Your transparency is inspiring. You are a wonderful Mama and I am so privileged to be parenting little Miss Q with you as a friend and support.

    Cheers to an amazing 2012 for your sweet family.

    love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you for your lovely, encouraging comments!

    ReplyDelete